Our team of expert negotiation speakers deliver presentations and speeches around the world on wide-ranging topics, including how you can become a more powerful negotiator in all of your negotiations. As a widely quoted expert on negotiation, our firm’s founder Peter D. Johnston loves to exchange ideas with corporate, government and university audiences about influence and negotiation, delving into everything from the psychology of influence to negotiation and contract management.
Peter has advised CEOs on critical transactions, guided senior government officials in the face of national conflicts, and helped entire industries initiate and manage significant change. He conducts client engagements on a global basis, and has worked with some of the largest and most successful organizations in the US, Europe and Asia. His award-winning book, Negotiating with Giants, relays lessons from our firm’s advisory work, research, and some of history’s most difficult negotiations. Peter’s results in the field of negotiation have been formally recognized by the United States Government for their positive economic and social impact.
He is one of the most sought-after negotiation speakers worldwide, a powerful negotiator in his own right who tries to impart critical lessons to his audiences about what being powerful means—and doesn’t mean—in leading-edge negotiation and conflict management practices.
Topics for NAI’s Negotiation Speakers: From Strategy and Negotiation and Contract Management, to How to Become a More Powerful Negotiator
Recent topics we have covered in our presentations include:
- Negotiation and Contract Management: What common mistakes we make when negotiating contracts and drafting them—and how these mistakes can be avoided.
- Made to Last: Lessons from history’s change agents on how to negotiate big, enduring changes in households, organizations and nations.
- The Psychology of Negotiation: How several basic phenomena bias how we view the world, and what we can do to escape that bias to influence and negotiate more effectively. Our negotiation speakers delve into different psychological tendencies related to everything from anchoring in negotiations and valuing opportunities, to how to best frame choices.
- Cassandra’s Curse: How we ignore helpful prophecies from “smaller voices” in our organizations and nations— often with dire consequences.
- Negotiating Life: How you can use “integrated negotiation” to maximize the success of your relationships and career, weaving together all of your undertakings in negotiation and life to become a more powerful negotiator.
- Negotiating with Giants: Getting what you want when the odds are against you, whether in negotiation and contract management or trying to shift a nation’s will in your favor.
Whatever your needs are, NAI’s influence experts and negotiation speakers will deliver world-class, innovative and engaging presentations, customized to maximize their impact and value on your audience.
Details from a Sample Presentation: Negotiating with Giants
How do you negotiate with Wal-Mart as a tiny supplier? With a well-established venture capital firm when you’re a struggling start-up? With a huge competitor that threatens to derail your growing business? An ethical issue with an intimidating boss? A tax issue with an unresponsive government? The return of a stolen client, a valuable former employee or a canceled credit line?
Peter D. Johnston’s answers to these questions are driven by research he launched at Harvard University, and client engagements with smaller players and giants alike, including Wall Street bankers, political leaders, and many of the world’s largest corporations. His presentation aims to make you a more powerful negotiator by drawing on dozens of real-life stories, capturing mindsets and strategies you can apply to your organization with immediate results, whether you are interested in mediation and sports deals or negotiation and contract management.
You’ll see how successful smaller players from across time—such as Ben Franklin, Harriet Beecher Stowe and Bill Gates—have consistently turned conventional thinking about negotiation on its head, often changing the course of history as they negotiated against the odds with towering forces.
During this dynamic session with one of the world’s foremost negotiation speakers and negotiation gurus, you’ll explore how to:
- Defend yourself and your ideas.
- Level the playing field with your giant.
- Craft deals that meet your long-term interests and take advantage of size differences.
- Draw on distinct helpers to infiltrate, persuade or pressure your giant to meet your needs.
- Run your organization on a daily basis in preparation for your next giant negotiation.
One thing is guaranteed: after listening to any of our negotiation speakers or reading our award-winning book, you will think differently about your next negotiation—by learning how others facing apparently insurmountable odds have handled the toughest negotiations imaginable, from hostage-takings and civil wars to nasty mergers and historic sports deals.
Contact us to learn more, or check our availability for a presentation that will entertain your audience while ensuring no one leaves the room seeing the world exactly as they did before.
“Peter Johnston as a negotiation speaker is a rock star. He’ll keep you riveted, every word singing with his expertise and range of experience. His lively, interactive presentations will leave your audience gobsmacked.” James R. Fraser, North American Entrepreneur